CBD is one of over a hundred compounds that are found in the cannabis plant called cannabinoids. It is one of many cannabinoids that are not psychoactive while still having significant health benefits. Research has shown evidence that CBD may have a role in treating epilepsy, cancer, chronic pain, anxiety disorders and many other medical conditions. Lately, there have also been rumors circulating online that CBD can help you lose weight. Is this true?
CBD and “Fat Browning”
There is evidence, according to a study published in Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry, that CBD can convert white-colored fat tissue (which stores energy) into beige-colored fat tissue (which burns it;) A process sometimes called “browning.” This results in:
- Enhanced breakdown and oxidation of fat
- Increase in the body’s ability to burn calories
- Decrease of the expression of proteins involved in fat cell generation
This study shows that CBD can aid improving glucose tolerance in animals, making them more resistant to diabetes or other abnormalities in blood lipids. Promising, but not yet conclusive in humans.
What About CBD Oil?
CBD oil is the name sometimes given to “hemp oil,” which is a natural extract of hemp. It contains CBD’s and is excellent for cooking, but is not a product that can be smoked. There is much being made of hemp oil’s positive weight loss benefits, most notably:
- Low calories – Hemp oil has about 100 calories per tablespoon as opposed to 120 calories in olive oil.
- Omega-3s – Hemp oil contains a high level of omega three fatty acids which help guard against heart disease and can lower triglycerides in the body.
- GLA – Hemp oil has a right amount of gamma-linolenic acid, which has been shown to help with preventing weight gain.
- Metabolism – A study reported in The Journal of Nutrition
- Tastes great, very inexpensive compared to other sources of omega-3
So, Does CBD Help You Lose Weight?
Given all of the actual medical and mental health applications CBD shows promise in, it’s natural to believe it can do just about anything! Unfortunately, it doesn’t seem to be the case. Research of cannabinoids is still in its infancy, and discoveries are being made daily. But at the moment, there is not enough scientific evidence that CBD is useful as a weight loss tool. CBD oil, however, could be a healthy addition to any diet, and you may be pleasantly surprised by the flavor.
There are still countless uses for CBD as well as THC and other cannabinoids. Visit us at All Greens, and we’ll be happy to walk you through the wonderful world of medical cannabis and everything it has to offer.